Monday, October 8, 2012

No Nonsense Nurturer

I attended a "new teacher" workshop this past weekend at the New Teacher Center.  Many topics were discussed including classroom management.  The model promoted by the facilitators was "No Nonsense Nurturer."  In my most difficult class I tried the"MVP" and "narration" aspects of the program and found them quite effective at getting students on track and quiet. Honestly, I was quite surprised!   MVP is an acronym indicating that instructions should include directions for Movement (e.g., stand, sit, walk), Voice (e.g., silently, in a low voice), and Participation (What should the students be doing?). The narration element is different from "I like how Susie is sitting quietly" in that it narrates (describes), but doesn't praise the students.  As a program, I think it is organized in a way to help a new teacher who might be starting in a difficult situation.  Looking back, I think something like this would have been useful for a couple of the alt cert teachers I supervised several years ago.  It seems to me to be an "in the moment" solution (i.e., with practicing teachers) rather than something to share with future teachers.  The video below shows the implementation of aspects of the program in a coaching situation.  This document also outlines the elements of the program. 

1 comment:

  1. MVP(T) add in time. Giving children a set time for a task also helps keep them on task and focused.

    ReplyDelete